Ridgecrest Regional Hospital History
In 1932, with his sights set on making a future in Reno, Dr. Thomas A. Drummond stopped en route for gas in the then thriving mining town of Red Mountain. While delayed to patch up the participants of a bar-room brawl, he decided to stay. After a fire destroyed Red Mountain Hospital, he moved to Ridgecrest where the Naval Ordnance Test Station had recently gotten underway. He built a hospital in 1945, later adding an annex and a clinic.
Historical Photo History
Ridgecrest Hospital in 1945
Notice the plane in the left hand side of the picture – Dr. Drummond had his own plane and his runway was located in the current Heritage housing development.
In 1962, Dr. Drummond gave the hospital to the community for one dollar. Up to that point, RCH was a “proprietary” hospital – which meant that Dr. Drummond and 5-6 other doctors owned it.
RCH expanded over the years – a new wing in 1968, an intensive care unit in 1976, and a four-phased construction during 1987.
Some other worthwhile projects RRH has implemented include: spearheading the development of Sage Community Health Center in the 1990’s to bring primary care to a greater cross-section of area residents; and the purchase of a state-of-the-art MRI unit in 1998 that is housed in a permanent location at the hospital and is not mobile.
RRH’s wonderful Pink Ladies Auxiliary members (founded by Jan Hoagland in 1958) have volunteered thousands of hours each year and have raised funds to purchase much needed equipment, as well as sponsoring numerous health care scholarships.
With a focus on improving and ensuring the health of our neighbors, this project asserts our position as the leading health care provider for patients in our area. When it comes to the latest medical technology and treatment, the new medical tower at RRH is certainly leading the way. For patients in the area, this means the most advanced diagnostic and therapeutic abilities are available at a moment’s notice, close to home.
Cafeteria is Now Open and Ready for Diners. The cafeteria, completed in 2010 as part of RRH’s multimillion-dollar construction and renovation project and is now serving all our guests, both patients, families, and the general public.
If you’re visiting a loved one in the hospital, you don’t have to leave the campus to find nutritious food options. Swing by our cafeteria and enjoy a quick snack, or a full-course meal prepared by our wonderful chefs.